Descent into the Icehouse participates in the educational outreach project Scientists on the Road. The aim is to engage with pupils to enhance their scientific understanding and provide workshops at schools in the UK.
Scientists on the Road travel to schools in rural and urban areas in all council regions, providing hands-on interactive learning experience for school pupils, improving the linkage between schools, HEIs, and industry, and promoting careers in science.
A permanent co-ordinator (Athena Drakou) will organise the visits and workshops and liaise with schools and teachers.
- Ocean and Earth Day at National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, March 2013. Read more…….
- Ocean and Earth Day at National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, March 2012. Read more…….
- Caroline Nokes MP for Romsey and Southampton North, spends a day at NOC. Read more…….
Ask the Scientist
We are currently involved with the “Ask the Scientist” project, a series of informative and fun outreach workshops for schools based on the research of the Earth system. The content is designed to stretch and challenge students in Years 12 and 13 from all subject backgrounds with no specialist subject knowledge required. The sessions provide the opportunity for participants to become familiar with the major reorganisations of the whole Earth system, while students are also encouraged to articulate their thoughts and views in question and answer sessions.
The project is part of the University of Southampton outreach program “Learn with us”
Follow us on Twitter
- Crucial new information about how the ice ages came about : PR & Podcast
- 2014 Sino-UK Coevolution of Life and the Planet Summer School
- Past and Future CO2 – Reconstructing atmospheric Carbon Dioxide
- Co-evolution of Life and the Planet conference in UCL and Geological Society London
- PR: What the geological evidence of the past tells us about modern sea-level rise